By Boardman Robinson
In 1929, Edgar Kaufman commissioned a series of murals by Boardman Robinson to hang on display for the customers in his downtown Pittsburgh department store. Robinson’s ten 8’ x 15’ panels on the History of Commerce began with the Persians and Arabs, then progressed to the Venetians, the Dutch, and the slave traders in the Americas, and finally to an industrialized city scene of the 20th century. When the store was demolished in the 1950s, the murals were housed in storage until their acquisition by the Fine Arts Center of Colorado Springs, where Robinson taught in the affiliated school.
Here are two of the panels: Slave Trade in America, and Modern Industrialized City